Find joy in recovery at Cornerstone
Yoga in Rehab: How yoga helps with addiction treatment
Yoga is an integral part of the Cornerstone Healing Center addiction recovery model. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of yoga for a stronger mind-body connection. A recent review of the positive benefits of yoga for drug and alcohol addicts shows:
- Yoga can reduce depression, anxiety and emotional suffering.
- By forcing the mind and body to work together holistically, yoga practices can help alcoholics and addicts maintain sobriety.
- Yoga reduces stress by improving respiratory systems, lowering blood pressure and decreasing heart rate. These effects are also useful in the recovery process.
- Regular yoga practice can reduce the effects of physical pain variables and decrease emotional suffering.
- Consistent yoga practice can reduce cravings associated with addiction.
For these reasons and many more, we provide members in all our outpatient rehab programs with the opportunity to develop a safe, therapeutic and satisfying yoga practice. This skill can be instrumental in addiction recovery and lead to a happier life overall.
What is yoga for addiction treatment?
Yoga practice for addiction is similar to what you’d encounter at a gym or studio. Each yoga class at our Scottsdale treatment facility includes:
- A mindful, meditation-infused class taught by certified yoga instructors.
- Safe guidance through a variety of strength-building and relaxing yoga poses that improve posture, muscle conditioning and cardiovascular function.
- Clear instruction and a class that is suitable for all skill levels.
Deep breathing techniques that improve yoga abilities, and that can be used outside the yoga studio to achieve relaxation and mindfulness.
A recent report on yoga for addiction found yoga is an ideal complement for the 12 Step Program. Yoga teaches how to become more in tune with sensations and one’s body. These skills are crucial for addiction recovery.
Whether you or your loved one is a yoga pro or has never been to a single class, yoga is a practice that can be learned and mastered by anyone. Our clients learn yoga in a supportive, no-judgement environment. The techniques you learn in yoga are directly applicable to recovery and everyday life.
Programs We Offer
Yoga enhances the mind-body-spirit connection
Addictions We Treat
Still have questions about treatment?
Our admissions specialists are here to explain the process, answer any questions you may have, and ensure you’re getting the help you need to live a healthy life free from addiction.